False Creek Community Centre is seeking outgoing, enthusiastic and responsible outdoor leaders with experience in canoeing and kayaking to work in a team to plan and implement a summer day camp for children ages 8-13 years with a focus on developing canoeing and kayaking skills. In compliance with the Canada Summer Jobs Grant guidelines, applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Experience working with children in a recreational or educational program delivery setting
- Experience/certification in canoeing and/or kayaking is an asset
- Knowledge of a wide variety of age appropriate activities in the areas of sports, arts and outdoor recreation
- Strong leadership, administration and planning skills
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification (or the ability to obtain certification)
- Excellent problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills
- Work with a team to plan and implement a wide range of day camp activities
- Follow established procedures and guidelines to ensure the safety of all program participants, staff and volunteers
- Work with a group of peers to deliver a safe, fun, creative environment for day camp participants
- Build positive relationships with participants, parents, guardians, co-workers and the community through active participation in program activities
- Provide feedback to parents, guardians and participants that fosters self-confidence and positive social behaviors
- Provide a positive role model to participants at all times
- Ability to manage petty cash funds
- Contribute to program evaluations and reports
Terms/Conditions of Employment:
- Must satisfy requirements for a police record check of vulnerable clients prior to start date
- Rate of pay: $16.00 – $18.00 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay, 35 hours per week, Monday-Friday, for up to 10 weeks, dependent upon Canada Summer Jobs Grant funding. Job duration: 8 weeks of day camp, July 5-August 24 and 2-3 weeks of planning and staff training to be scheduled in There will be mandatory kayak certification training and mandatory canoe certification training.
Deadline for Applications: Wednesday March 31, 2021
Please forward cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “False Creek Day Camp Outdoor Leader”. Faxed resumes will not be accepted, no phone calls please.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.