Day Camp Outdoor Leaders
False Creek Community Centre is seeking outgoing, enthusiastic and responsible outdoor leaders with experience in canoeing and kayaking to work in a team to plan and implement a summer day camp for children ages 8-13 years with a focus on developing canoeing and kayaking skills.
In compliance with HRSDC Summer Jobs Grant guidelines, applicants must be registered full-time students during the preceding academic year and have intentions to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. Applicants must also be between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Experience working with children in a recreational or educational program delivery setting
- Experience in canoeing and/or kayaking (certification is an asset)
- Knowledge of a wide variety of age appropriate activities in the areas of sports, arts and outdoor recreation
- Strong leadership, administration and planning skills
- Minimum first year college or university education in a related field
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification (or the ability to obtain certification)
- Excellent problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills
- Work with a team to plan and implement a wide range of day camp activities
- Follow, at all times, established procedures and guidelines to ensure the safety of all program participants, staff and volunteers
- Work with a group of peers to deliver a safe, fun, creative environment for day camp participants
- Build positive relationships with participants, parents, guardians, co-worker’s and the community through active participation in program activities
- Provide feedback to parents, guardians and participants that foster self-confidence and positive social behaviors
- Provide a positive role model to participants at all times
- Demonstrate ability to handle petty cash funds
- Contribute to program evaluations and reports
Terms/Conditions of Employment:
- Must satisfy requirements for a police record check of vulnerable clients prior to start date
- Rate of pay: $15.25-$17.25 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay, 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, for up to 10 weeks dependent upon HRSDC Summer Jobs grant funding. Job duration: 8 weeks of day camp, July 2-August 23 and 2-3 weeks of planning and staff training to be scheduled in June.
Deadline for Applications: Wednesday April 24, 2019
Faxed resumes will not be accepted, no phone calls please.
We thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.